9.03.2017

Cards For A Rainy Day

I hope everyone is having a great Labour Day weekend, wherever you are. It has been raining on and off here where I am, so it put a damper on any plans that we had involving adventuring outside.

On the bright side, stuck inside means some time to blog about the small stack of cards I've had laying around my hobby area waiting to be posted.

I picked up most of these from a guy selling at a flea market several weeks back. I've never seen him there before and he was selling, for the most part, 90s stuff.


Felix 'The Cat' Potvin saw a lot of rubber during his parts of eight seasons as a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs. He set an NHL record during the 1996-97 season for most shots faced with 2,438 (later broken by Roberto Luongo during his stint with the Florida Panthers) and saw another 2,135 shots during the 95-96 regular season, earning him a 2nd place spot in the league that year behind Grant Fuhr.


A card featuring "The Great One" in a St. Louis Blue's jersey, rockin' the Jofa 235 is the epitome of '90s NHL - I love it. I remember these 'MVP' cards being fairly easy pulls back in the day with their gold parallel counterparts being known as being sort of tough.


The 1994 World Tour sub set from 94-95 Upper Deck has come to my attention only just recently but have seemed like they've followed me around to each market since. I really liked the photos on both of these cards; Selanne is striking a bonafide in action hockey pose while wearing that sleak vintage Jets home jersey. Hasek looks ready for anything that's headed his way from the Devils offence as he makes room in front of the crease while also sporting a retro home jersey (Sabres).



Hands down, Trevor Kidd had some of the memorable goalie equipment during the 90s - possible of all-time. Speaking of which, newly acquired Flames netminder Eddie Lack will be sporting some "Trevor Kidd inspired" pads this upcoming season.




The seller had quite a few of these '95 Fleer 'Franchise Futures' cards for sale but I only picked up a couple that featured some favorite players, Tkachuk and Sandis Ozolinsh.




I switched teams for a couple of seasons during the late 90s and cheered for the Phoenix Coyotes. Keith Tkachuk still remains one of my favorite all-time players. His aggressive, physical style of play while consistently scoring points drew me in; he was an elite power forward of his era.

Tkachuk formed a dynamic 1–2–3 offensive punch with Jeremy Roenick and Rick Tocchet that led the Coyotes through their first years in Arizona.



Statistically speaking, Tkachuk enjoyed his best season during the Winnipeg Jets final year prior to moving to Phoenix; scoring 50 goals and amassing a career-high 98 points.


Jeff Friesen played nearly seven seasons with the San Jose Sharks, becoming their 3rd all-time leading scorer before being shipped to Anaheim as part of the Teemu Selanne trade.



Ending this post with a 'You Crash The Game' Foppa. I've found myself picking up more Forsberg cards lately, a trend that I figure will surely continue.

I can't wait until I'm able to hit up the flea market again; hope the guy who sold me all of the cards shown above will be back.

2 comments:

  1. I remember all of these quite well - especially the Potvin. That was one of my favourite cards of the 90s.

    Also, I hope you got the cards I sent you for our blind trade. Please let me know either way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...