7.16.2017

Spearing the Whales

The 1990-91 Panini Hockey Sticker collection is a set that I've been working on having signed over the past few years. It's a project that I'm fully aware I'll never actually 100% complete but I love the stickers and most importantly, it has been a ton of fun hunting down.

I'm about 65 stickers sans-signature away from an entire hard autographed set - there's about 5-6 deceased players who I'm not even sure have ever signed a sticker before their passing, hence why I'm uncertain if this project is even possible to complete.

With a surprise return from Ray Ferraro this past week, I made it one step closer to any such end and completed the beloved Hartford Whalers team set.

I've written to Ray several times over the past few years with no luck. As I've seen other collectors receive returns from Ferraro during this span of time, I even began to think that the sticker was a particular item that he refused to sign! Persistence and patience are keys to this hobby.















Personal favorites from the group are Ron Francis and Peter Sidorkiewicz. Autograph-wise, I probably like the look of Sidorkiewicz the most; it's a nice full signature. I also like how Tomlak used a green sharpie which compliments the team colours he is pictured in.

5 comments:

  1. Im seeing red on the Tomlak signature....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Sorry. I'm seriously colourblind.

      Delete
    2. No need to apologise! That's one of the fee things that actually works normally for me so I have no idea what it is like to have to deal with that.

      Delete